Macula
Oct 28, 04:40 PM
As long as it is MEANINGFUL to run OS/X on generic PCs, technical solutions (and ever better ones for that matter) will always be found.
The only way for Apple to safeguard OS/X from generic machines is to make such hacking MEANINGLESS. The solution is not in security technologies such as TPM but in MARKETING: Building machines that are evidently cheaper, beautiful, feature-rich and FASTER than the competition.
(Same goes for iPod and DRM, which was also cracked recently).
The only way for Apple to safeguard OS/X from generic machines is to make such hacking MEANINGLESS. The solution is not in security technologies such as TPM but in MARKETING: Building machines that are evidently cheaper, beautiful, feature-rich and FASTER than the competition.
(Same goes for iPod and DRM, which was also cracked recently).
MacNut
Jan 12, 02:20 AM
who are you kidding? what part of iphone is not previously existed in technology? yay it has a nice UI, like all other apple products, but the hardware?And only 200 new patents.
balamw
Apr 12, 09:02 AM
PCs, I think, is going too far.
Microsoft, apparently, begs to differ.
B
Microsoft, apparently, begs to differ.
B
twoodcc
Jul 13, 10:02 PM
farout man, thats BS. is it ADSL?
it's cable internet. the company is mediacom. it's the only cable company out here. but i guess i might have to go dsl if they don't fix it
it's cable internet. the company is mediacom. it's the only cable company out here. but i guess i might have to go dsl if they don't fix it
powerbook911
Mar 17, 10:34 AM
I won't comment on what the OP did.
However, what kind of clerk could make such an error? That is quite a big mistake. Perhaps they should be let go.
However, what kind of clerk could make such an error? That is quite a big mistake. Perhaps they should be let go.
KnightWRX
Mar 10, 04:34 AM
Umm, a touch screen on a computer like that is really stupid because if your using it solidly for more than 1 hour your arms would fall off :rolleyes:
Funny how before Steve said that, you would have been one to repeatedly ask for a touch screen iMac. ;)
I just look to Steve to see the trends in posting on Macrumors. Whatever the guy says, it means it will become defacto opinion on this site.
Funny how before Steve said that, you would have been one to repeatedly ask for a touch screen iMac. ;)
I just look to Steve to see the trends in posting on Macrumors. Whatever the guy says, it means it will become defacto opinion on this site.
George Knighton
Apr 23, 02:28 PM
How is "gay history" different than regular history? lol
The same way Black History is different, I guess.
I don't mind.
The same way Black History is different, I guess.
I don't mind.
Music-Man
Sep 12, 08:12 AM
what time is the event on in Australian ESTD ?????
3am :(
I was just getting ready to go to bed for a couple of hours before 3 but I'm a little hyped now.
Bloody Apple
3am :(
I was just getting ready to go to bed for a couple of hours before 3 but I'm a little hyped now.
Bloody Apple
dondark
Oct 3, 12:38 PM
iPhone will come out before X'mas.

wordoflife
Mar 24, 03:03 PM
I never really liked OS X until 10.5.
tempusfugit
Oct 6, 07:58 PM
ATT is unbelievably good in Minneapolis, but my long drives to and from chicago are marked by a whole lot of EDGE which sucks!
MagnusVonMagnum
May 2, 04:12 PM
Here is why gestures are great and will win out over mouse and keyboard use for almost all uses: they are a direct action and not an indirect action.
Believe what you will. I have a MBP with gestures and I find some useful and some annoying. I can do fine artwork with a mouse and Photoshop (stylus is even more useful), but I can't do it with a piddly trackpad. I would not want to play 3D shooter games with a trackpad either. In other words, trackpads have their uses and are getting better for some tasks with gestures, but they're not the answer to life, the universe and everything either. Every task has its ideal tool. You don't throw out hand tools because air tools are available. They're unsuited for many tasks (particularly delicate ones).
Believe what you will. I have a MBP with gestures and I find some useful and some annoying. I can do fine artwork with a mouse and Photoshop (stylus is even more useful), but I can't do it with a piddly trackpad. I would not want to play 3D shooter games with a trackpad either. In other words, trackpads have their uses and are getting better for some tasks with gestures, but they're not the answer to life, the universe and everything either. Every task has its ideal tool. You don't throw out hand tools because air tools are available. They're unsuited for many tasks (particularly delicate ones).
conditionals
Sep 12, 04:42 AM
I was going to receive a (female) friend tonight, but she postponed for tomorrow...
Friends aren't post.
Friends aren't post.
NoSmokingBandit
Nov 15, 07:47 PM
That depends on the game. Everything after COD4 has had a very shallow campaign that is just boring. I only play the campaign because i find COD's online to be bland. I like MP with different classes, like TF2 or KZ2. I dont like when everyone's job is simply shooting. It gets boring really quickly for me. I played KZ2 online more than any other game because if i got tired or sniping i could go around setting up bots. If i got tired of that i could play Medic and heal the crap out of people. So many things to do whereas in COD everyone has a gun and shoots, thats all.
So i'd rather have Treyarch spend more time on the campaign than MP. Insomniac makes a game with a solid campaign every year (except this year -_-) and they are working with a tiny budget compared to the COD franchise.
So i'd rather have Treyarch spend more time on the campaign than MP. Insomniac makes a game with a solid campaign every year (except this year -_-) and they are working with a tiny budget compared to the COD franchise.
TripHop
Oct 7, 05:40 AM
First, Apple must build an iPhone that will work on Verizon's CDMA network (iPhone is GSM & HPDA), OR Verizon must upgrade their network to handle GSM/HDMA. I don't thing either will ever happen.The former or both has to happen by next summer because there's no way Apple is going to continue letting AT&T keep their iPhone exclusivity past next July. In other markets where iPhones are being sold by multiple carriers, the iPhone's market share is radically higher. The same thing will happen here as soon as all the carriers are allowed to sell them.
We're still at the beginning of this device's history. Imagine what it'll be like next Summer when there are 150,000 applications for the next version 4 iPhone with a dual core ARM processor running @ 1.6GHz with 64GB of RAM on board. ;) :D
We're still at the beginning of this device's history. Imagine what it'll be like next Summer when there are 150,000 applications for the next version 4 iPhone with a dual core ARM processor running @ 1.6GHz with 64GB of RAM on board. ;) :D
macEfan
Nov 24, 08:37 PM
store.apple.com is still near crawl levels. It appears you can shop now (the whole system has been sluggish for the past few hours), but at least the products and the deals pages are working. As FC said, the order review still does not work. My errors range from no errors to connection to database problems. Gotta love Thanksgiving!
No problems for me yet. yay I got a good price on an AP express!
No problems for me yet. yay I got a good price on an AP express!
lotones
Apr 30, 01:35 PM
btw- does anyone know why the current version is named Windows 7? Why 7?
Because it took them 7 years to get it right.
Because it took them 7 years to get it right.
brianfast
Apr 16, 04:07 PM
The Apple ecosystem is no more open or closed then any other system, Apple, Android, Rim, Windows etc.
Apple has by far the most restrictive ecosystem. You can't even load applications that are not approved by Apple.
Apple has by far the most restrictive ecosystem. You can't even load applications that are not approved by Apple.
generik
Sep 26, 03:33 AM
OMFG OMFG! Apple didn't just do Macbook/Pro silent update to Merom!
Whinge again tomorrow, when it is Tuesday!
Whinge again tomorrow, when it is Tuesday!
tvguru
Sep 12, 07:40 AM
Does this mean we won't be seeing iTunes 7.0? I mean if they were releasing a new iTunes wouldn't they make the changes on the new release?
They would have to update the store to handle it as well. I would assume that there will be a new iTunes out today also and that the movie portion of the store wouldn't be backwards compatible.
They would have to update the store to handle it as well. I would assume that there will be a new iTunes out today also and that the movie portion of the store wouldn't be backwards compatible.
longofest
Oct 17, 08:57 AM
Ick. This whole format war is nasty, but I guess I never understood why Apple decided to support blu-ray over HD-DVD. Seemed like they did it just to go against what Microsoft had chosen. The and the whole Steve wanting crippled hardware for another (his other) company's benefit over computer users...the whole situation stinks.
As a consumer I'm trying as hard as possible to sit this one out. :mad:
Apple chose sides before Microsoft did ;)
As a consumer I'm trying as hard as possible to sit this one out. :mad:
Apple chose sides before Microsoft did ;)
mdntcallr
Sep 25, 10:59 AM
I'd like to say that this update really makes Aperture fully integrated with the rest of Apple products. Love it and will buy asap.
Well. was hoping to buy it pre-installed on a core 2 Duo Macbook Pro. but now... may buy a 24" imac or mac pro instead. tired of waiting for that model
Well. was hoping to buy it pre-installed on a core 2 Duo Macbook Pro. but now... may buy a 24" imac or mac pro instead. tired of waiting for that model
skellener
Apr 8, 07:11 PM
Glad that B.S. turned out to be a rumor. Now I can use my BB credit and get an iPad2 when they are in stock....maybe Sunday!
slb
Oct 28, 11:17 PM
The Free Software movement has nothing to do with "free-as-in-free-beer" software. Freeware is not Free Software. Free Software can cost ten thousand dollars. It's Free as in freedom.
I think the point being made is that there are many people who hide behind the banner of the Free Software movement and decide that because they can download Ubuntu for free means they should be able to download anything for free. It's the difference between free as in speech and free as in loading.
yeah, but Logic Pro requires a dongle.
Intel Macs have TPM chips, essentially "dongles."
a quick look at google will show you that Logic Pro 7 has definately been cracked... ;)
...and...
LOL. Look harder.
Wrong. :) The crack you find on Google simply turns Logic Pro into the limited but unprotected Logic Express. Logic Pro 7 has never been cracked, and you can't use any of Pro's features in the cracked Express.
Cubase SX 3 for the Mac has never been cracked either. The Windows version was finally cracked long after SX 3's release, but it was a herculean effort on the part of the hackers due to Steinberg's very strong copyright protection, which will no doubt be ramped up in SX 4.
OS X doesn't even have a serial number in the boxes. Apple's lack of caring of this extends to the point where they haven't even bothered to have the ability to tell the difference between a pirated copy and a legitimate copy of the OS. I don't see tyrannical anti-piracy policy coming anytime soon, and I don't see Apple taking drastic measures to prevent OS X on beige boxes soon either.
Oh, they will. Apple doesn't require serial numbers because they can afford to be more lax when they know that you still have to buy a Mac to run OS X. Illegally cracking OS X to avoid the Mac requirement screws over Apple for no good reason.
Everyone seems to be forgetting the math of piracy. It's not
gross profit = (unit price) (units in use - units pirated)
it's
gross profit = (unit price) (units in use - units pirated + sales gained due to piracy)
I've never understood people who adopt this argument. You're essentially saying that, because a few folks think piracy is free advertising, Apple should give up all its intellectual property and copyrights. It would be like me spending money on a Lamborghini and then handing the keys to random strangers in the hopes they'd return it the next morning to encourage them to buy one of their own. Get real!
I think the point being made is that there are many people who hide behind the banner of the Free Software movement and decide that because they can download Ubuntu for free means they should be able to download anything for free. It's the difference between free as in speech and free as in loading.
yeah, but Logic Pro requires a dongle.
Intel Macs have TPM chips, essentially "dongles."
a quick look at google will show you that Logic Pro 7 has definately been cracked... ;)
...and...
LOL. Look harder.
Wrong. :) The crack you find on Google simply turns Logic Pro into the limited but unprotected Logic Express. Logic Pro 7 has never been cracked, and you can't use any of Pro's features in the cracked Express.
Cubase SX 3 for the Mac has never been cracked either. The Windows version was finally cracked long after SX 3's release, but it was a herculean effort on the part of the hackers due to Steinberg's very strong copyright protection, which will no doubt be ramped up in SX 4.
OS X doesn't even have a serial number in the boxes. Apple's lack of caring of this extends to the point where they haven't even bothered to have the ability to tell the difference between a pirated copy and a legitimate copy of the OS. I don't see tyrannical anti-piracy policy coming anytime soon, and I don't see Apple taking drastic measures to prevent OS X on beige boxes soon either.
Oh, they will. Apple doesn't require serial numbers because they can afford to be more lax when they know that you still have to buy a Mac to run OS X. Illegally cracking OS X to avoid the Mac requirement screws over Apple for no good reason.
Everyone seems to be forgetting the math of piracy. It's not
gross profit = (unit price) (units in use - units pirated)
it's
gross profit = (unit price) (units in use - units pirated + sales gained due to piracy)
I've never understood people who adopt this argument. You're essentially saying that, because a few folks think piracy is free advertising, Apple should give up all its intellectual property and copyrights. It would be like me spending money on a Lamborghini and then handing the keys to random strangers in the hopes they'd return it the next morning to encourage them to buy one of their own. Get real!