
Digitalclips
Apr 16, 07:53 AM
As much as I like google as a company, as with everything they start I'm sure they will never finish this. I've come to believe google is incapable of releasing a complete, polished project. But maybe I'm just bitter since I own a 40" google tv that is virtually incapable of doing anything worth doing on a tv.
Google seem to be perpetually in 'beta' on everything. That works fine with Search, Maps, YouTube and Earth but on many products I have backed off as you never know if you put time and effort in to using / deploying them if they will be updated or even be there a year from now. Don't ever expect any support either!
The thought of investing in any hardware reliant on anything from Google would scare the pants off me.
I think Eric's tenure at Google was a disaster. Prior to him Google were innovative and lead in anything they took on. Now they are in a copy cat - catch up mode with Apple and seem to have lost their way. I hope the return of the original leaders will put Google back on track as an innovator. This industry needs more than one company that can do that.
Google seem to be perpetually in 'beta' on everything. That works fine with Search, Maps, YouTube and Earth but on many products I have backed off as you never know if you put time and effort in to using / deploying them if they will be updated or even be there a year from now. Don't ever expect any support either!
The thought of investing in any hardware reliant on anything from Google would scare the pants off me.
I think Eric's tenure at Google was a disaster. Prior to him Google were innovative and lead in anything they took on. Now they are in a copy cat - catch up mode with Apple and seem to have lost their way. I hope the return of the original leaders will put Google back on track as an innovator. This industry needs more than one company that can do that.
sheepopo39
Apr 29, 06:53 PM
I agree. I am using scroll reverser on Snow Leopard right now and enjoy it a lot. After about a day or two it becomes more natural.
I booted into snow leopard on another partition after using Lion for a while and I had trouble not scrolling inversely. I've gotten quite used to it.
I booted into snow leopard on another partition after using Lion for a while and I had trouble not scrolling inversely. I've gotten quite used to it.
rdowns
Apr 16, 04:51 PM
Narrow-mindedness is an affront.
Indeed.
affront |əˈfrənt|
noun
an action or remark that causes outrage or offense
Indeed.
affront |əˈfrənt|
noun
an action or remark that causes outrage or offense
MusicallySilent
Jan 13, 12:22 AM
Mid range Mac
I would hope for a mid range "Cube like" computer only because I'm looking to upgrade soon.
That would be almost nice to have a cube, sort of what I was thinking of except have desktop or xeons instead it could be a desktop xeon (lga775) for all I care just give us the option for a desktop/server power dual and quad core, along with 2-4 (pref 4) ram slots, pci E graphics and a few hdd bays and get it out the door for 999 or less
I would hope for a mid range "Cube like" computer only because I'm looking to upgrade soon.
That would be almost nice to have a cube, sort of what I was thinking of except have desktop or xeons instead it could be a desktop xeon (lga775) for all I care just give us the option for a desktop/server power dual and quad core, along with 2-4 (pref 4) ram slots, pci E graphics and a few hdd bays and get it out the door for 999 or less
sailortena
Jan 9, 07:59 AM
Realistically, this is want I want:

i miss you quotes death. i

i miss you quotes death. i

i miss you quotes death. i

i miss you quotes death. i

i miss you more than quotes. i

i miss you quotes death. maya

i miss you quotes for him.

i miss you quotes death. miss

i miss you quotes death. miss

i miss you quotes death. i

i miss you quotes death. i

miss you wallpapers with

i miss you quotes death.

i miss you quotes death. miss
Electro Funk
Oct 28, 05:20 PM
Logic Pro 7 has yet to be cracked, so Apple has people who know how to do copyright protection. I suspect Leopard will employ very strong TPM integration compared to Tiger.
a quick look at google will show you that Logic Pro 7 has definately been cracked... ;)
a quick look at google will show you that Logic Pro 7 has definately been cracked... ;)

peapody
Apr 10, 07:51 AM
installing the HD into your macbook pro? i'd like to know how that goes. i've seen some issues with the 1tb drives not fitting just right. (too thick)
highest I've ever been able to install is a 750GB.
I was able to fit my 1tb samsung into the harddrive slot just fine. That along with my ssd - awesome combination.
highest I've ever been able to install is a 750GB.
I was able to fit my 1tb samsung into the harddrive slot just fine. That along with my ssd - awesome combination.
Thomas Veil
Mar 4, 12:05 PM
Keep talking Veil, 2010 was just the 'coming attractions.'Outdated graphs aside, you really think so? With the tri-cornered hat brigade being vastly outnumbered at rallies? With public opinion siding with the unions? With people watching good workers threatened with jail, and thinking to themselves, "If it can happen to them, it can happen to us?"
And the fact that she married 5P. ;)You have to wonder, if she was in a union and they declared a strike, who would he side with? A thread that runs through his posts seems to be that people and practicality take a back seat to strict adherence to rigid dogma. Would he let his wife get dragged off to jail, just so he could remain righteous in his beliefs?
And the fact that she married 5P. ;)You have to wonder, if she was in a union and they declared a strike, who would he side with? A thread that runs through his posts seems to be that people and practicality take a back seat to strict adherence to rigid dogma. Would he let his wife get dragged off to jail, just so he could remain righteous in his beliefs?
ChazUK
Apr 22, 08:41 AM
The biggest problem with Windows is Microsoft doesn't design Windows for consumers. The biggest chunk of their cash-cow comes from the enterprise. And the Windows desktop platform reflects that.
An excellent post but you may be overlooking the fact that the more Microsoft bundle in with the OS, the more competitors will complain in a similar vein to the netscape/IE days.
I bet that Microsoft would love to include more with the OS but the easiest way they can do so is to add it as a completely optional download but still giving the competition a look in and aleviating any cries of monopoly tactics.
It is astounding the amount of my Windows using friends that don't know what Microsoft have on offer as extras. I think they offer some great additional software for their customers. Still, its refreshing to see someone with valid points and good knowledge of what MS have to offer! :)
An excellent post but you may be overlooking the fact that the more Microsoft bundle in with the OS, the more competitors will complain in a similar vein to the netscape/IE days.
I bet that Microsoft would love to include more with the OS but the easiest way they can do so is to add it as a completely optional download but still giving the competition a look in and aleviating any cries of monopoly tactics.
It is astounding the amount of my Windows using friends that don't know what Microsoft have on offer as extras. I think they offer some great additional software for their customers. Still, its refreshing to see someone with valid points and good knowledge of what MS have to offer! :)
LeeRain
Aug 3, 04:25 PM
Nokia???? What's a 'Nokia'?
caspersoong
May 3, 05:50 AM
I think I will just ignore this... And block it in my hosts file.

MacsRgr8
Jan 5, 05:54 PM
I love this time of year.
We had Christmas, and new year, and the usual hangovers and overweightness that accompanies these last couple of days ;)
Now life gets back to normal......
.....
..... but not for us Mac-geeks. The last couple of days leading up to the MacWorld SF Keynote speech is definitely my favorite time!
The expectation, the excitement, the rumors, and reading about all of us how we like to spend the actual "time of speech".
Over here in Europe the time of day is perfect: 6 pm CET. Either stay at work and follow the news there (websites, MRChat etc.) or rush home and do the same.
Use iChat to link all news & views with fellow nerds....
Me, personally, I just have to know right away. I can't wait until the QT link is up.... especially as it usually is overloaded and results in poor viewing the first couple of hours.
Best time of year. Every year (followed by the last days leading up to the WWDC ;) )
We had Christmas, and new year, and the usual hangovers and overweightness that accompanies these last couple of days ;)
Now life gets back to normal......
.....
..... but not for us Mac-geeks. The last couple of days leading up to the MacWorld SF Keynote speech is definitely my favorite time!
The expectation, the excitement, the rumors, and reading about all of us how we like to spend the actual "time of speech".
Over here in Europe the time of day is perfect: 6 pm CET. Either stay at work and follow the news there (websites, MRChat etc.) or rush home and do the same.
Use iChat to link all news & views with fellow nerds....
Me, personally, I just have to know right away. I can't wait until the QT link is up.... especially as it usually is overloaded and results in poor viewing the first couple of hours.
Best time of year. Every year (followed by the last days leading up to the WWDC ;) )
ju5tin81
Sep 12, 07:26 AM
The main thing is... (For me anyway) is the ability to burn a film to DVD....
It'll be hard to make an impulse purchase on a new film, that I can only watch on my Mac, or, until I spend a few hundred quid buying a new iPod or wireless streaming gizmo for my telly... (Something I'd prefer not to do)
Can we please burn them so we can watch films on normal DVD players!
Just like iTunes does with CD's. (Don't mind if there is a restriction on numbers that can be burnt etc. Only gonna do it once.)
Also, aren't laptop HD's gonna need to grow up to accomodate all this media? A desktop, easy, get an external, but I'd like me (New MacBook) laptop to be attachment free!
It'll be hard to make an impulse purchase on a new film, that I can only watch on my Mac, or, until I spend a few hundred quid buying a new iPod or wireless streaming gizmo for my telly... (Something I'd prefer not to do)
Can we please burn them so we can watch films on normal DVD players!
Just like iTunes does with CD's. (Don't mind if there is a restriction on numbers that can be burnt etc. Only gonna do it once.)
Also, aren't laptop HD's gonna need to grow up to accomodate all this media? A desktop, easy, get an external, but I'd like me (New MacBook) laptop to be attachment free!

Winni
Mar 9, 06:39 AM
[QUOTE=Melrose;12072103They didn't make the first portable music player with the iPod - but they refined what was there, gave it a good interface[/QUOTE]
The Click Wheel interface was/is an abomination and exactly the opposite of a "good" interface. It's a horrible mess. The only usable iPod is the iPod Touch.
The Click Wheel interface was/is an abomination and exactly the opposite of a "good" interface. It's a horrible mess. The only usable iPod is the iPod Touch.
mcmadhatter
Oct 17, 09:46 AM
I'm not sure about what you're saying here, because content producers will still be having to supply the same film in two different formats.
No they won't they can produce their film in whatever format they like because all players would be dual format so it wouldn't matter, they wouldn't even need those fancy hybrid discs
They'll likely drop the less popular format, and thus, we'll have a winner. This could happen though it is unlikely with dual format drives
DVD +/- is a writing thing. It's not the same, because people don't care where they get their blank discs from as much.
When it was going on it was a big thing, because a lot of dvd Players would only Play one type of disc so if you recorded to + and your friend had - they would not be able to play it
More simply, I'm curious of who out there needs to burn 30 to 50 GB chunks of data, too large for a dual layer DVD to hold, and why.
I do , I have 140Gb of Photos from my DSLR (and previous digital cameras) putting this on 3 discs rather than 40 discs would be great
I also have 28Gb of music, backing up form itunes to 1 disc rather than 8 would also be useful
External drives are very easy to break beyond repair with osx (3 different NEW external drives, 3 different disk manufacturers disks, and the longest they lasted without dying so badly they needed an RMA was 72 hours) and dvd blueray etc discs take up less space, and you have the possibility of having 3-4 copies.
No they won't they can produce their film in whatever format they like because all players would be dual format so it wouldn't matter, they wouldn't even need those fancy hybrid discs
They'll likely drop the less popular format, and thus, we'll have a winner. This could happen though it is unlikely with dual format drives
DVD +/- is a writing thing. It's not the same, because people don't care where they get their blank discs from as much.
When it was going on it was a big thing, because a lot of dvd Players would only Play one type of disc so if you recorded to + and your friend had - they would not be able to play it
More simply, I'm curious of who out there needs to burn 30 to 50 GB chunks of data, too large for a dual layer DVD to hold, and why.
I do , I have 140Gb of Photos from my DSLR (and previous digital cameras) putting this on 3 discs rather than 40 discs would be great
I also have 28Gb of music, backing up form itunes to 1 disc rather than 8 would also be useful
External drives are very easy to break beyond repair with osx (3 different NEW external drives, 3 different disk manufacturers disks, and the longest they lasted without dying so badly they needed an RMA was 72 hours) and dvd blueray etc discs take up less space, and you have the possibility of having 3-4 copies.

Mattie Num Nums
May 2, 09:29 AM
Actually I have seen a number of explanations on this thread from people who use Windows more than myself. The answer to why it is "7" does not seem to be well known even to Windows users.
Really its not brain surgery.
Windows 1.0, 2.0, 3.0, 4.0, XP (5.0), Vista (6.0), Windows 7 (7.0).
Really its not brain surgery.
Windows 1.0, 2.0, 3.0, 4.0, XP (5.0), Vista (6.0), Windows 7 (7.0).
Edge100
Oct 23, 12:26 PM
New investments in technologies and products would be by far the best use of the money. With Apple's cash, they could set up a research arm similar to Xerox PARC or the old Bell Labs and place themselves in the forefront of new technology for a long time. Instead, they seem to be notably stingy with their R&D dollars. Purchasing technologies by buying out smaller companies could also be advantageous, and Apple does do some of this, but not much -- not enough to make even a dent in their cash hoard.
I'm not so sure that Apple needs to re-invent the wheel all the time. It seems to me that Apple is (historically) pretty good at introducing new features, long before other PC manufacturers.
While I agree that a dedicated research arm could, in the long term, create a lot of great, innovative products and technologies, I think they have the possibility, if not properly run, to become cash cows that produce little or nothing of any profit-making value. Researchers have a way of remaining focused on research, not profits.
I still think that buying up other small, but influential companies such as Digidesign would be a great thing for Apple. Think of all the products that Apple currently sells that were bought, rather than developed in-house:
iTunes
Final Cut Pro
Shake
Logic (and, by extension, Garageband)
LiveType
Heck, even MacOS X was, in many ways, 'bought' rather than developed by Apple.
I'm not so sure that Apple needs to re-invent the wheel all the time. It seems to me that Apple is (historically) pretty good at introducing new features, long before other PC manufacturers.
While I agree that a dedicated research arm could, in the long term, create a lot of great, innovative products and technologies, I think they have the possibility, if not properly run, to become cash cows that produce little or nothing of any profit-making value. Researchers have a way of remaining focused on research, not profits.
I still think that buying up other small, but influential companies such as Digidesign would be a great thing for Apple. Think of all the products that Apple currently sells that were bought, rather than developed in-house:
iTunes
Final Cut Pro
Shake
Logic (and, by extension, Garageband)
LiveType
Heck, even MacOS X was, in many ways, 'bought' rather than developed by Apple.
Stella
Mar 5, 03:39 PM
Why is Apple the only tech company that makes unique products? All the other big ones seem to just drop in behind Apple after they invent something... Examples:
•Phones that are designed to simply compete with the iPhone.
•Pretty much every non-Apple tablet.
•iMac lookalikes.
•I've even seem some unibody copy cats...
Why don't they try and come up with something of their own instead of trying to "make a better Apple product"? Its annoying... :mad:
LOL - you make it sound like everyone else just copies Apple: Other companies are inventive, for example, the company behind Kinetic, or Nintendo ( first 3d game system not requiring glasses ), or Amazon for making the first popular ebook reader device, or sony
Apple are highly visible and of course, they do make innovative products but I wouldn't go as far to say "the only company".
•Phones that are designed to simply compete with the iPhone.
•Pretty much every non-Apple tablet.
•iMac lookalikes.
•I've even seem some unibody copy cats...
Why don't they try and come up with something of their own instead of trying to "make a better Apple product"? Its annoying... :mad:
LOL - you make it sound like everyone else just copies Apple: Other companies are inventive, for example, the company behind Kinetic, or Nintendo ( first 3d game system not requiring glasses ), or Amazon for making the first popular ebook reader device, or sony
Apple are highly visible and of course, they do make innovative products but I wouldn't go as far to say "the only company".

TheSideshow
Apr 21, 09:52 AM
Its gunna be awesome. Im hoping for a Metro UI to surface.
aafuss1
Sep 12, 08:37 AM
Paramount should offer on the iTunes store-the Nickelodeon movies will be family friendly and Nicktoons Nwtwork original series-Kappa Mikey could be added.
Mattie Num Nums
Apr 8, 12:58 PM
I wonder what the special promotion is.
Perhaps! New Hardware is coming out (iMacs???) and the promo will be a buy a Mac get an iPad for $X.
Perhaps! New Hardware is coming out (iMacs???) and the promo will be a buy a Mac get an iPad for $X.
ezekielrage_99
Aug 10, 08:44 PM
I thought the Apple Displays might sport an iSight Camera....
Still uping the specs and dropping the price is enough for me :cool:
Still uping the specs and dropping the price is enough for me :cool:
stoid
Aug 7, 08:21 PM
Apple is usually slow to update things like Education pricing etc.
The Edu price will go down within a few days. :)
The old edu discount on the 20 inch was $699 (yesterday and this morning), so unless Apple drops the price AGAIN.
The price drops for the 20 and 23 inch are as follows
size � old (edu) -> new (edu)
20" � 799 (699) -> 699 (649)
23" � 1299 (1099) -> 999 (899)
I'm not sure on the 30", but I reckon it followed a similar pattern.
The Edu price will go down within a few days. :)
The old edu discount on the 20 inch was $699 (yesterday and this morning), so unless Apple drops the price AGAIN.
The price drops for the 20 and 23 inch are as follows
size � old (edu) -> new (edu)
20" � 799 (699) -> 699 (649)
23" � 1299 (1099) -> 999 (899)
I'm not sure on the 30", but I reckon it followed a similar pattern.
CoolAccent
Nov 23, 04:35 PM
According to Apple's Canadian website, the Black Friday sale will be there too, not only in the U.S.